smbumount and df problems

Hans-Joachim Muenzer Hans-Joachim.Muenzer at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Feb 15 12:31:38 GMT 1999

James O'Kane <jo2y at jprc.com> wrote:
> I'm experiencing two problems with the samba package:
>
> After a smbmount command successfully mounts a volume, several hours later
> I get I/O problems. When you cd into the dir and do an ls you get an
> error. When you df it hangs at the smb mounts.
>
> The other problem is when I try a smbumount as a regular user on a mount
> that I mounted as that same user. The error:
> You are not allowed to umount /home/jo2y/mnt
> smbumount is setuid:
> -rwsr-sr-x   1 root     root       243249 Feb 10 17:28 /usr/bin/smbumount
>
> I tried the best I could to search for these problems on the website and
> in the mailing archives but no luck.
>
> I freshly compiled these against linux 2.2.1-ac5 and I'm using the samba
> 2.0.2 source.
>
> What other information do you need?
> thanks
> -james

Hi,

I have also similar problems with smbmount. After upgrading my linux
machine from SuSe 5.1 to 6.0, the command
smbmount //imperia/muenzer /home/hajo/imperia -U muenzer -u hajo -g users
is still working, but the share is mounted only with root-permissions, not
with hajo.users permissions. Also the smbumount is not working even as
root, in the same way than J. O'Kane wrote. On the other hand a normal
umount as root is working. My former samba-version was 1.9.17p2-3, now it
is 1.9.18p10-17. imperia is also a linux-box with samba, but with an older
version.

Any ideas?
thanks,
hajo.