How to broadcast message to entire workgroup?

JUERGEN ANZER RICK_ at t-online.de
Thu Feb 11 01:15:52 GMT 1999

Steve Snyder wrote:

> I want to broadcast a message, or series of messages, to the entire
> workgroup supported by Samba v2.0.x on a Linux-based server.  The idea here
> is to notify all users that the power to the server has failed and shutdown
> is imminent.
>
> I've searched through the Samba archives and found several messages asking
> this same question, but no responses.  Now it's my turn.  So...  can Samba
> broadcast a message to all the machines currently logged into it, and if
> so, how is it done?

I haven´t done it so far, but just a guess to the solution (I hope):

<smbstatus> gives you the name of the client-machines like

> # ./smbstatus
>
> Samba version 1.9.16p5
> Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
> cdrom        abe      group     4567   snoopy   (136.27.4.4) Tue Feb  9 19:57:55
> tmp          abe      group     4567   snoopy   (136.27.4.4) Tue Feb  9 19:57:55
> public       abe      group     4567   snoopy   (136.27.4.4) Tue Feb  9 19:57:59
> <snip>

What about piping this output to a script or something else, extract the
machine name and then echo "Shutdown in 10 min!" | smbclient -M
<machine_name> ???

If you got the solution - I would be interested in a copy. Thanks.

best regards
rick

--
snail: 	ANZER GmbH - Pieperstr. 14 - 32791 Lage - Germany
email: 	rick_ at t-online.de
voice:	(0049) 5232 / 9777-21
fax:	(0049) 5232 / 78094