SAMBA on IRIX

Colin Coe colin.coe at wcl.wesfarmers.com.au
Wed Feb 10 07:57:20 GMT 1999

Hi All

I have just installed Samba onto our IRIX network with the aim of
solving two problems:
1.	Allow printing from IRIX to NT; and
2.	Use the WINS server under NT to do away with /etc/hosts.

I am not very familiar with Samba but from what I have read today I must
use the smbclient command in this kind of format: 'smbclient
\\server\printer <\\\\server\\printer>  -PN'.  This produces an ftp like
prompt which is not what I want to do.  I need to effectively "map" (I
know that is the wrong word) an NT printer to IRIX.

I modified 'smb.conf' to set our NT server as the WINS server but that
does not seem to have worked.

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
workgroup = NT-DOMAIN

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = IRIX

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#	Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but
NOT both
   wins server = NT-SERVER

==============================

[tmp]