Problems running apps from Samba 2.0.0 share on NT 4.0

Duncan Kinnear duncanwantsnomorespam at mccarthy.co.nz
Mon Feb 8 21:35:42 GMT 1999

On 30 Jan 99, at 2:40, Firebeard wrote:

> 	Well, what I noticed was pretty subtle - the log file for that
> connection hit max log size and was rotated to .old.  The first thing
> in the new log file?  The new connection!  It's looking like the very
> act of rotating the log file is killing smbd!  I kicked the max log
> size up to 500, and, sure enough, the new log file started a new smbd
> process.

Sten,

Well done for tracking down the problem.  When I read your findings it
rang a massive bell for me.  I remember looking for errors in the logs and
being frustrated by the fact that the log rotated about the exact time of the
incident.  I never dreamed that the actual rotation itself would be the
cause!

Of course you would have found that this occurs more frequently with
higher debug levels.  When I bumped up the debug level to try and track
down the problem, the errors became more frequent.  It would also
explain why there is *NO* message in the log to indicate a problem -
because the log itself *IS* the problem.

Have you had any reply from the developers?  I might try and have a dig
around in the code to try and find out where it does the rotate, but right
now I'm pretty snowed under.  I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Duncan Kinnear,
McCarthy and Associates,			Email:  duncan at McCarthy.co.nz
PO Box 764, McLean Towers,			Phone:  +64 6 834 3360
Shakespeare Road, Napier, New Zealand.		Fax:    +64 6 834 3369