NT WINS causes problems for domain master browser

Stephen Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Sun Feb 7 23:31:51 GMT 1999

While debugging our workgroup's browsing behavior on a Linux 2.2 box using
a freshly installed samba 2.0, I ran into the following message in log.nmb:

[1999/02/07 16:11:04, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(226)
  become_domain_master_query_success:
  There is already a domain master browser at IP 10.42.42.42 for
workgroup OUR_WORKGROUP registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.

(names/IPs mangled to protect the innocent)

The problem here is that there's no machine at the IP (10.42.42.42) that
the WINS server returns, and there hasn't been for over 6 months.  I have
no administrative access to the WINS server.  The linux server, despite
being set up with 'domain master = yes', appears to be accepting this
response from the WINS server, never challenging it even when requests to
the supposed domain master browser fail.

I've looked through BROWSING.txt and BROWSING-Config.txt, and didn't find
anything that addresses this problem.  Does anyone have any insights into
this problem?  I'm not sure how succession is supposed to be handled for
domain master browsers, but it definitely doesn't look like it's being
done right here...

Thanks,

-Steve Langasek