Samba is a hoax

Leo Crombach lcrombach at tropel.com
Sat Feb 6 16:10:50 GMT 1999

Alex,

I assure you Samba is far from a hoax.  In fact, I think it is the greatest
thing since sliced bread.  I am an administrator in a mixed environment of
over 200 UNIX (Solaris and Linux) and Windows (95 and NT) machines.  I use
Samba for a variety of purposes, but mostly to mount user home directories
and as print servers for the PCs.  It works great!!!

I first starting using it three years ago and it just keeps getting better.
 I can download the current release, compile it and install it in under 30
minutes and have it running.  I'm not sure why you are having so much
difficulty, but I would reread the documentation and the smb.conf man page
if I were you.

Below is a snippit of smb.conf from one of my Solaris boxes: Maybe it will
be useful to you.  Also, I noticed your smb.conf file was generated with
swat; I have not used this tool so I don't know how reliable it is.  You
may want to edit smb.conf with vi or some other editor.  Lastly, how are
you starting smbd?  Are you sure it is running and sourcing your smb.conf
file properly?

Hope something here helps,

Leo

==============

; Methost smb.conf file
;
; The global setting for a default install
; Copyright(C) John H Terpstra - 1997
;======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

; workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
workgroup = pcnet

; comment is the equivalent of the NT Description field
comment = Metrology Samba Server
server string = Metrology Samba Server

; printing = BSD or SYSV or AIX, etc.
   printing = sysv
   printcap name = /etc/pcprintcap
   load printers = yes

; Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
guest account = pcguest
log file = /opt/samba/var/logs/log.%m

; Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb)
max log size = 50

; Options for handling file name case sensitivity and / or preservation
; Case Sensitivity breaks many WfW and Win95 apps
;   case sensitive = yes
short preserve case = yes
preserve case = yes

; Security and file integrity related options
lock directory = /opt/samba/var/locks
locking = yes
; Strict locking is available for paranoid locking situations only
;        enabling this severely degrades read / write performance.
;   strict locking = yes
;   fake oplocks = yes
share modes = yes

; Security modes: USER uses Unix username/passwd, SHARE uses WfW type
passwords
;        SERVER uses an other SMB server (eg: Windows NT Server or Samba)
;        to provide authentication services
security = user

; OS Level gives Samba the power to win browser elections. Windows NT = 32
;	Any value < 32 means NT wins as Master Browser, > 32 Samba gets it
;	default = 0, this ensures that Samba will NOT win the browser election.
;   os level = 65
   os level = 32

;============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[home]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /home/%u
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes

; Should be an NIS map (somehow)
include = /packages/smb.conf.files/auto_smb.conf

[service]
   comment = Service Database
   path = /export/disk1/home/servicedb
   public = yes
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   guest account = pcguest
   locking = yes
   force user = metguest
   force group = instr
   create mask = 0775

; NOTE: There is NO need to specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   create mask = 0700

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

Leo Crombach			System / Network Administrator
Tropel Corporation		Phone: (716) 388-3566
60 O'Connor Road		Email: lcrombach at tropel.com
Fairport, New York 14450	URL: http://www.tropel.com