Server comment length problem not new to 2.0!

Jim Watt jimw at pe-nelson.com
Fri Feb 5 21:05:21 GMT 1999

Someone mentioned yesterday that they'd discovered that if the
"server comment" string was over a certain length, the Samba
server disappeared from browse lists.

That rang a bell.  Our division was renamed recently, and the
new name is longer than the old one.  I'd changed the server
comment to reflect the change.

A few days later, I noticed that the machine was no longer
appearing in browse lists.  I didn't put the two together
until last night.  So I shortened the comment, and it's
back in the browse list for the domain it's in.

I'm still running 1.9.18p10, so this one's been around for a while!

Jim
--
Jim Watt                               jimw at PE-Informatics.COM
Perkin-Elmer Corporation               Voice (desk): +1 408 577 2228