NT Workstations Can't Find Samba Server

Roman, James (J.D.) jroman6 at ford.com
Fri Feb 5 17:06:48 GMT 1999

First a quick message to the creators/developers/hackers of Samba 2.0. The
product is simply remarkable.  I wish to thank all of you for the fantastic
job.

Now for the real problem.  I have a small network with a mix of NT 4
workstations and Irix 6.5's with Samba 2.0.  I recently began to build a
file server for the office using one of the Irix workstations.  The problem
I have is that two of the NT boxes don't see the Samba server (or any of the
Samba clients for that matter.)  I relatively certain that the problem
resides in the NT workstations.  To the best of my ability, the only
difference I was able to find between clients that could see the Samba
boxes, and those that could not, is a missing binding for the Wins Client.
The problem is I can't seem to find what is needed to add the bindings.  All
the boxes have the same Services and Protocols loaded.
(Services=Server,workstation,simple TCP/ip,Netbios
Interface)(Protocols=TCP/IP).  Does any one have an idea what is needed to
get the Wins client back, or is there something else that I am missing.  I
tried setting up a lmhosts file, but the computer still can not locate the
server through NetNeighborhood, or through Find Computer.  Am I missing
anything obvious?

Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of whacking the crap out of an
electronic device to get it to work again.
James D. Roman                  Phone: 313.32.37077
FTDC Computer Services        Help Desk 32.32663
Network Support Technician    jroman6 at ford.com