Beware: Samba is a hoax

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Fri Feb 5 16:08:34 GMT 1999

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 alex at avantel.com wrote:

> I change to drive x: and get
> >x:
> then I type DIR
> (and yes I type a carriage return in case some nitpicker thinks I jest)
>
> The result:  W95 full seizure after a partial listing (yes, only some) of
> the files in /tmp

Sounds like you have an Interrupt problem with your network card.

> I try to 'browse the server' and the shares show up.  I passed the test right?
> WRONG!  Try a click on one of those shared resources and I get another full
> W95 system seizure and only pulling the plug will get me out of it.
>
> What would your conclusion be?  There are no other troubleshooting tips

Sounds like you have an Interrupt problem with your network card.

The troubleshooting tips assume you have a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING CLIENT.

                                [Darrin]

--
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious." - A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753