Connecting from Windoz 98: solution

Michel Marcon cmic at cetu.equipement.gouv.fr
Fri Feb 5 15:50:29 GMT 1999

Hi.
iI'm answering to my own problem. It seems that M$ now uses
another trick under W98 to encrypt the passwords on the LAN:
CHAP. A reader of the Samba List mentionned the article Q??? from
Microsoft. Once again ( recalls me WNT$ + SP3...) you have to
modify or add a key in the registry.

Here it is

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=hex:01

Then, reboot the W98 beast.
Believe me, it works.

Of course, now the passwords are un-encrypted on the LAN. Another solution
is to use CHAP with Samba. Anybody knows how to do that ??

Bye.
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Michel Marcon wrote:

> Hi
>
> Plateform: many Samba servers 1.9.16p11 under Solaris 2.x.
> Up to now I had no problem to connect from w95 to \\sambaServer\myname
> with the right password (controlled by the Solaris passwd file)
>
> With The new WNT4 I was aware of the "EnablePlainTextePassword" key to
> place in the registry. Works OK.
>
> But now, I can't connect from Windows 98 to my share: the message is
> "Incorrect password. Try again"
>
> Is there a new way of crypting password under W98 or what ??
> Maybe I should try to upgrade my Samba server ??
>
> Need Help !
> Thank you.
>

> ----------------------------------
> Michel Marcon Sysadmin UNIX & WNT