Disappearing Browse List

Rich_Jones at wmg.com Rich_Jones at wmg.com
Thu Feb 4 14:09:12 GMT 1999

Hi,

	I figured it out last nite.  I went thru those 9 steps in the Samba
book. :)

	Everything was functional, except no master browser.

	So I backtracked everything I did.  It turned out to be permissions to
the /var/log directory.
		I had it as 750, once I changed it back to 755  Bingo!

	I finally corrected the PPP dialup script where the trap command was
screwed up.  I hate when technical How-To books are incorrect.

	Everything is working fine again. :)  I think I needed to sleep on
it.. was a long day.

	Thanks.

Regards,

Richard Jones
NOS Administrator
WEA Mfg
Olyphant, PA 18448
(717)383-3291 ext 2381	Fax: (717)383-6837
-------------
Original Text
From: "Stephen L Arnold" <arnold.steve at ensco.com>, on 02/03/99 12:12 PM:
When the world was young, Rich_Jones at wmg.com carved some runes like this:

[snip]
> Then the other day, the browselist on the WIn95 machines disappeared.
[snip]
>  I have the server setup with:
>   local master = yes
>   remote announce = 192.168.0.255
>   domain master = yes
>   preferred master = yes
>   null passwords =  yes

I don't know if this will help, but you probably shouldn't use the
"remote announce" parameter.  Samba will automatically bind to (and
announce on) the first ethernet device.  I assume you're sharing
with an internal (private) network and using the linux box as a
firewall/gateway for internet access.  I wouldn't put any ipfwadm
rules in a startup script until you have all the kinks worked out;
just flush all the ipfwadm rules and check the browsing.  If
browsing still doesn't work, then comment out the "remote announce"
parameter.

Stephen L Arnold                             sarnold at earthling.net

"A mime is a terrible thing to waste..."  -  Mel Brooks