Disappearing Browse List

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Wed Feb 3 21:42:07 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Rich_Jones at wmg.com carved some runes like this:

[snip]
> Then the other day, the browselist on the WIn95 machines disappeared.
[snip]
>  I have the server setup with:
>   local master = yes
>   remote announce = 192.168.0.255
>   domain master = yes
>   preferred master = yes
>   null passwords =  yes

I don't know if this will help, but you probably shouldn't use the
"remote announce" parameter.  Samba will automatically bind to (and
announce on) the first ethernet device.  I assume you're sharing
with an internal (private) network and using the linux box as a
firewall/gateway for internet access.  I wouldn't put any ipfwadm
rules in a startup script until you have all the kinks worked out;
just flush all the ipfwadm rules and check the browsing.  If
browsing still doesn't work, then comment out the "remote announce"
parameter.

Stephen L Arnold                             sarnold at earthling.net

"A mime is a terrible thing to waste..."  -  Mel Brooks