SAMBA digest 1967

Jim Mulholland jim.mulholland at peri.com
Wed Feb 3 17:14:28 GMT 1999

Using the "smbclient -M machine_name" you can send messages to PC's with
a shell for loop. The shell would go something like this:

1)    find your samba log directory ( grep "log file" smb.conf )
2)    use a find command to list all samba log files that are active
within a week (find /var/adm/samba -type f ! -mtime +7 -print )
3)    strip the "samba_log." off of the filename with awk ( awk -F.
'{print $2 "\n"}' )
4)    for each hostname send a messages (cat message.txt | smbclient -M
$i)

But before you re-invent the wheel you should check out John D. Blair's
book "Samba Integrating Unix and Windows". The companion CD comes with a
smbwall utility

- Jim