Samba 2.0 problem with Excel

Jay Anderson Jay.Anderson at dw.deere.com
Tue Feb 2 11:35:05 GMT 1999

I recently upgraded to Samba 2.0, but I have had to revert back to
1.9.18p10 because of problems I could not resolve.  I am running Samba
on a Sun Ultra-1 with Solaris 2.6, and I compiled Samba using gcc
v2.8.1.

The problems I was seeing were with saving Excel files.  A user might
have a small Excel file and try to save it to their home directory.  The
save would work for a long time (5 to 10 minutes) then finally come back
with an error, "Low memory."  If the user broke off the save, the file
would be corrupt.  I saw similar problems with printing from Excel.
These problems did not occur for every user or for every file (however,
it appeared to be repeatable with certain files), but I could not find
any connection between the occurences.

I have not seen this problem at all with previous versions of Samba.  I
am including the pertinent portions of my smb.conf file, in case I have
some glaring misconfiguration for Samba 2.0.  The main change I made
between Samba 1.9.18p10 and Samba 2.0 is that I switched to
security=domain so I would no longer have to maintain an smbpasswd file
for Samba.

Thanks if anyone can shed any light on this for me.

[global]
   security = domain
   printing = sysv
   guest account = nobody
   status = yes
   encrypt passwords = yes
   printer driver file = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes
   dead time = 15
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p -L
   lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
   print command = /usr/bin/lp -c -d%p %s ; /bin/rm -f %s
   max log size = 1000
   interfaces = 168.121.98.169/20
   workgroup = JDDW-
   local master = no
   domain master = no
   wins support = no
   wins server = 168.121.98.135
   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = no
   remote browse sync = 195.43.13.255 195.43.1.255
   remote announce = 195.43.13.255/JDDW- 192.43.1.255/JDDW-
   message command = csh -c '/usr/bin/mailx -s Winpopup postmaster <
%s;/bin/rm -f %s' &

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0775
   directory mode = 0775

---
Jay D. Anderson    John Deere Davenport Works
Jay at Deere.com    P.O. Box 4198
Phone: 319.388.4268 Fax: 319.388.4159 Davenport, Iowa 52808
http://www.dw.deere.com:8080/~hz01930 http://web.infoave.net/~jaya