Bind Failed on Port 139

Jan Kratochvil short at ucw.cz
Tue Feb 2 10:40:18 GMT 1999

> >I installed Samba 2.0.0 on a P100 running SlackWare Linux 96 (Kernel
> >2.0.0).  After running configure, make, make install, and testparm, I
> >thought I was all ready to start up the smbd daemon.  So I typed in
> >	smbd -D -d 50
> >
> >Got back a failure listing in the error log.
> >[1999/02/01 16:27:06, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(663
>
> Or, get Linux 2.0.36 and install that.  Hopefully most of your support
> packages will be current with that.  If you go with Linux 2.2
> you will need about 6 new packages (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes)

  Yes, Iagree that he should upgrade anyway (probably not the kernel
itself but rather use some whole new distribution). But this is now offtopic
on this list.

  Just to make some advertisement for my patch to netstat (Yow! :-) ),
please see:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~short/sw/#netstat

  This enhances netstat in the way that it also displays program name
of the program owning that socket ("netstat -ap"). You'll find that there
is already sitting some older version of smbd/nmbd on the ports or
that inetd has it allocated due to entries in /etc/inetd.conf.
  And sorry due to technical aspects, this patch is for Linux only
(it patches just Linux net-tools package anyway).

						Bye, Lace