Samba 2.0 User Authentication

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Feb 1 19:44:08 GMT 1999

Hi all,

>So everyone in the group developer or controller respectively should be
>able to write the file. Howerver every user belongs to the primary group
>'users' and but the secondary group 'developers'. The problem is, that a
>user from the developer group can read the file but not write it.

This is classic Samba.

It's been like this since as long as I can remember (well 1.9.15p8
anyway :) ).

Samba doesn't support the additional groups as defined in /etc/groups
(or your NIS (etc.) equivalent).  Only the primary group as defined in
'/etc/passwd'

The group id for any given share can be changed with 'force group'.
(although for various reasons I always use 'force user', not least
because then the inode cna be written allowing 'mtime' to be written)

I dunno, but I'm guessing that getting Samba to fully support
multi-groups would be a major modification.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 956 237670 (anytime)