CANNOT BROWSE (the solution)

JUERGEN ANZER RICK_ at t-online.de
Mon Feb 1 17:43:19 GMT 1999

Dave Lawson wrote:

> Thanks for the info Rick!
> We also have the problem that the Samba server does not show up on the
> browse list in NT 4 SP3. We need to explicitly specify the Samba server
> name.

What does your log file on the samba box says, when you try to browse
your network? You maybe have to increase the log level=... first in
smb.conf.

What network protocols have you installed? tcp/ip is enough ... you
don´t need any other protocol.

> On some PC's, even that doen't work and we need to specify the ip.
> Have you encountered this? Any ideas?

Seems to be a conversion problem between machine name <-> ip adress.
Remember, this is done using the .../hosts file on your LOCAL machine!
Have a look at it. Can you *ping* from your local machine to the samba
box using the machine name or have you to use the ip adress?

hope this helps (for the first)

rick

--
snail: 	ANZER GmbH - Pieperstr. 14 - 32791 Lage - Germany
email: 	rick_ at t-online.de
voice:	(0049) 5232 / 9777-21
fax:	(0049) 5232 / 78094