One NT & Unix Password

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Wed Dec 29 18:45:08 GMT 1999

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 02:02:03 +1100, hai scritto:

>AIX host also runs other applications that require telnet login.  I would
>like to stream line the password policy process (i.e.. only one password for
>NT/Win98 and Unix logins without the user having to do separate processes to
>change passwords).  I understand that the PDC functionality in samba
>requires a separate password file rather than the native Unix host password
>(back to 2 password processes).
>Has anybody accomplished this?  Are there any third party applications that
>bridge NT & Unix passwords?  Please feel free to clear up any confusion that
>I might have stated about Samba PDC and passwords.

If samba is PDC you can use password-sync to keep /etc/passwd in sync
with smbpasswd. If samba is in security=domain, I'm not sure if you can
do the same.
If your login/telnet program is pam-aware then you can usa pam-ntdom to
have login/telnet authenticate against the NT server, thus having just
one passwd database (never tried it myself though).

giulioo at pobox.com