Unix .TXT vs DOS .TXT files

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Dec 29 18:05:06 GMT 1999

Subba,

Samba itself doesn't do translation, thank goodness.

Your best solution depends on what you're doing with the translation. For
instance, you might be building a website in-place to be displayed via
http. In that case you'd need to remove the ^M chars and also get the
capitalization of files to match their links. That's best done with a
script that traverses the website tree. The script would have as its heart
something like this:

cat $1 | tr -d "\r" > $1

Obviously, such a script must convert only text files such as .html, .cgi,
etc.

You could conceivably put such a script in a pseudo printer print command
to convert single files on the fly, but that's kind of involved given that
you'll need to define the destination directory.

The other possibility is simultaneous use of text files from both Unix and
Windows. That's an editor issue. Wordpad and many other editors can handle
it. You can download vim from vim.org and use the same editor on both Unix,
DOS and Windows. In VI, you simply do the proper :set fileformat= and then
save.

Hope this helps.

Steve Litt