smbfs problems in 2.0.6

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 29 16:32:49 GMT 1999

I continue to have the same problems in Samba 2.0.6 with smbfs that I
was seeing in 2.0.5:

(1) After a mount (mount -t smbfs etc.), the volume is often not yet
fully mounted.  For instance, if I write a Perl script like:

system('mount -t smbfs -o password=pwd //MACHINE/SHARE
/mnt/machine_share');
system('find /mnt/machine_share > find.out');

the 'find' may not find any files beyond /mnt/machine_share (yet not
return any errors), because the thing is not really there yet.  Right
now, I'm putting a two-second sleep in between the mount and the find to
avoid this problem.

(2) The mount always returns success, since it doesn't even wait for the
mount to complete properly.

(3) After some period of time, the mount seems to "go away", such that
'df' shows a "Input/output error".

This is all using Samba 2.0.6 on Linux 2.2.10, Debian Potato.

Are these recognized as problems, will they be solved sometime, or is
there a better way to handle scripting involving smbfs?  Perhaps no one
else is seeing this because they don't do a lot of mounting on the fly?

I should also mention that I saw none of this behavior with the old
(non-Samba) smbfs.