Directory rename problem with smbclient

jpjanosi at us.ibm.com jpjanosi at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 28 18:17:14 GMT 1999

I am trying to use smbclient to migrate data from OS/2 LanServers to a
filesystem on an AIX 4.3.1 machine.  Everything works great except renaming
directories on the OS/2 LanServer.  I get the error ERRDOS - ERRbadfile
(File not found.) renaming files when I do a "rename <existing_dir_name>
<new_dir_name>" at the prompt, but <existing_dir_name> exists.  I connected
to a NT Server and a Samba server with smbclient and am able to rename
directories on these systems.  I also tried connecting to the OS/2
LanServer from an NT client, and I am able to rename directories, so I do
not think there is a problem with the OS/2 machine.

Oh, I am using the smbclient from Samba 2.0.6, but I have also tried other
versions of smbclient back to 1.9.18 patch 3 with the same results.

I would appreciate any advise on how to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks,

John Janosik
IBM Global Services SDC North
Rochester Server Support, AFS/DFS Team