poor file serving performance

David J. Streb dstreb at mtech.mec.edu
Tue Dec 28 18:13:20 GMT 1999

I have dedicated a Sparc 20 to serving files for about 10 users of a
Microsoft AccessJet-engine-based permit tracking program.  Performance is
absolutely horrible, and their department is on the verge of DEMANDING an
NT Server instead.  This is following a gruesome period of permission
issues which were finally resolved.  How can I determine what's going on
with this machine - why it's going so slow?

I have a whole bunch of these in my log file:

find_response_record: response packet id 20019 received with no matching
record.
find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id 20019
find_response_record: response packet id 20019 received with no matching
record.
find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id 20019
find_response_record: response packet id 20019 received with no matching
record.
find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id 20019

Also some of these:

12/28/1999 12:14:12 request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock
break r
equest to pid 1048 on port 32876 for dev = 80000e, inode = 3b0e

Can anyone help?  Thanks.

David J.
Streb	dstreb at ci.fitchburg.ma.us	http://www.net1plus.com/users/fitchburg