help needed with smbclient with broken pipe

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Dec 28 12:18:34 GMT 1999

"Peter Schuller" <scode#scode.webprovider.com> replies

> I've encounreed similar problems in the 2.x versions of Samba, including
the
> inability for users to log in. On one box, doing "max xmit 8192" in the
> global section of smb.conf seemed to fix the problem - but on another box
it
> had no effect. You could always try :)

It did not work.  The symptoms did not appear to change.

> I am getting the following error from smbclient and am not sure as where
the
> problem is.
>
> smb: \gcc\> dir
> write_socket_data: write failure. Error = broken pipe
> write_socket: Error writing 91 bytes to socket 3: ERRNO = broken pipe
> failed session setup
> Error writing 91 bytes to client. -1. Exiting
>
> This appears to be happening about a minute after I establish a session.
Up
> until that time file transfers and directories seem to work well.
>
> The platform details:
>
> SAMBA 2.0.6 Built with HAVE_LIBREADLINE
>
> OpenVMS Alpha 7.2.  Digital TCP/IP Services V5.0
>

> The smbclient is connecting to a Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Service Pack 5
> system running on a 90 Mhz pentium.
>

> The socket options in smb.conf are:
>
>    socket options = SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE

As a technical note, when SMBCLIENT is built with HAVE_LIBREADLINE support,
it is not checking the socket for network activity while it is waiting for
input from the user.

I guess it is time to dust off the network sniffer program.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net