Cross-subnet, multiple workgroups

Alex H. Vandenham alex at avantel.com
Mon Dec 27 20:08:16 GMT 1999

On both segments I have the samba box as the local master and the domain
master.  I found that without the domain master on both subnets, the browse
lists would not synchronise.  With a domain master on both subnets, when I use
"smbclient -L localserver" or "smbclient -L remoteserver" the workgroup list
includes both workgroups.

Both workgroups show up in explorer on clients on either segment. However I
can't browse the remote workgroup on the client that has to access a remote
WINS server.   I have found that if I give that client an LMHOSTS file with the
remote hosts in it, then it all works OK.  However that solution is not going
to be very scalable with a large number of hosts.

Is it possible to do that some other way?

alex