Unable to load interpreter

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Mon Dec 27 16:13:27 GMT 1999

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 01:35:48 +1100, hai scritto:

>When the number of working users are large my Samba shares
>doesn't work. On the console I get "Unable to load interpreter"
>Shares  doesn't work but after relogin it does ...
I think this means you're low on resources (memory, swap, file
descriptors, ...).

It happened to us some days ago, it was that we reached the upper limit
for max file descriptors.

If you have a 2.0.33 kernel, check
cat /proc/sys/kernel/file-max
cat /proc/sys/kernel/file-nr
The 2nd should be lesser than the 1st.

If you have a 2.2.x kernel:
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

Are you able to issue any command on the console (free, ps ax, ...) when
this happens? If not what are the error messages?

giulioo at pobox.com