Problems with Samba..

Justin C. Rains jrains at wsicnslt.com
Sat Dec 25 23:46:12 GMT 1999

	Hi all.. Happy holidays! I am having trouble all of the sudden with samba.
I was running an older version and I suddenly couldn't connect the mapped
drives this morning (yesterday it worked fine) so I downloaded the lastest
samba and compiled and installed it. Now when I try to connect to a public
share windows keeps asking me for a password. Also, if I use "smbclient -L
\\servername" to view the shares on the file server it prompts me for a
password.. If I just hit enter it will go ahead and list the shares.. Here
is what is from the log.wsi02 (my windows desktop is wsi02):

[1999/12/24 19:05:16, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1295)
  domain_client_validate: no challenge done - password failed
[1999/12/24 19:05:16, 0] smbd/password.c:password_ok(551)
  Error: challenge not done for user=jrains
[1999/12/24 19:05:16, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(909)
  Rejecting user 'jrains': authentication failed

Am I missing something that I should have for the new samba? I was running
an older version (my motto: if it's not broke don't fix it). Now it seems
this new version may be wanting more. I am running Slackware and shadow
passwords. Here is the global section of my smb.conf file:

[global]
;   printing = bsd
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap
;   load printers = yes
   guest account = guest
   hosts allow = ALL
   security = domain

The guest account does exist.. and it has a "*" listed for it's password in
/etc/shodow. Any suggestions what I should try next?

Thanks!
Justin