Win98 SE -- cannot read files (timeouts?)

lums at lsc.nd.edu lums at lsc.nd.edu
Thu Dec 23 19:58:15 GMT 1999

I am trying to connect a Win98 SE (second edition) client to a Samba
host.  I am able to map the network drives, list directory contents
and the like.  However, when I try to actually access a file from the
host, windows hangs for a while and then gives up (with a message
like: resource no longer available).  The samba logs say something
like: connection reset by peer.

The samba host is Redhat 6.1.  This behavior has occurred with
samba-2.0.3, samba-2.0.5a, and samba-2.0.6.  The linux box is also
acting as a firewall (using ipchains) from a local private network
(where the PC sits) and the outside world.  The linux box is also
running netatalk to interact with some macs.

I have scoured various mail archives and news groups and have not
found any problems like this.

Any help (and/or hints on how to start debugging this) will be much
appreciated!

Regards,
Andrew Lumsdaine