Weird lockup / CPU Hog problem

Jayson Garrett Garrett at mc.edu
Wed Dec 22 14:40:18 GMT 1999

Hi folks. Forgive me if this has already been addressed and I missed
it.

I have recently upgraded Samba from 1.9.18p10 to 2.0.6 on my HP-UX
10.20 machine. The clients are a few Windows 95 and NT 4.0 machines, and
my machine, which is Windows 2000 RC2.

Yesterday I tried to open a text file on a Samba share using the text
editor Textpad. Textpad appeared to lock up, and jumped to 90% CPU usage
on the Win2K box, and on the HP-UX box, smbd jumped to the highest CPU
user as well, with 33%.

I finally had to kill Textpad on my Win2K box, and everything returned
to normal. The problem occurs every time now. My NT 4.0 clients can use
the same version of Textpad to open files on the same share with no
problems.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Jayson T. Garrett, Mississippi College Computer Center
P.O. Box 4056, Clinton, MS 39058
601.925.3826   garrett at mc.edu   http://www.mc.edu/~garrett

"The human race is divided into two sharply differentiated and
mutually antagonistic classes -- a small minority that plays with
ideas and is capable of taking them in, and a vast majority that
finds them painful, and is thus arrayed against them."
    -- H.L. Mencken