how to set up a network color printer (newbie)

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed Dec 22 13:16:52 GMT 1999

Charles Lewis wrote:

> Just bought a network color laser (HP 4500N) and trying to figure out how to
> share it with all administrative users. Where should I start looking for
> info.

I have a HP 4500DN here, and I share it with samba quite happily. Samba
provides the actual share, and the printing on the UNIX side is handled
by LPRng. Here are the relevant sections from my config files:-

/etc/printcap:-

LJ4500C-RMG7:\
  :cm=Colour LaserJet 4500DN in Room G7:\
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp7:\