2.0.6/Sol. 251/NTW4 - Drive mapping anomaly

Robinson, Mike MRobinson at sdli.com
Tue Dec 21 09:46:42 GMT 1999

Hi,

I had the same problem, but mine started with an NT installation which was
successively patched up through SP4, SP5 and SP6 (with hotfix!). I also
don't run a login script but mapped the drives F:, G: and H: by hand with
instructions to reconnect at next login. The additional drives connected
like I: thru to O: as the share connected to F:, then P: was always the
share connected to G:, and then Q: to W: were (again) the share connected to
F:. These would map downwards from I: over the course of several hours, so
by about lunchtime I had a full set. These drives were not persistent, i.e.
would not remap at next login, but would function correctly as normal
network drives.

I put the problem down to the way in which I installed my system because I
have drives C: thru E: as Win 95 and then I installed NT to F: with G: and
H: as CD-ROM drives. I then hacked the registry to move the NT partition to
X: (and the CD drives to Y: and Z:) (this is why the shares were never
connected beyond W:) and I wondered if I had done some damage so that this
mapping behaviour could take place. Unfortunately, we'll never know because
my NT partition destroyed itself last week and I had to perform a complete
NT reinstall and the behaviour no longer occurs (though NT was installed in
the same way as before).

Are there any other common factors? I only had network drives set as
persistent and "automagically" mapped from our primary Samba box, an
UltraSparc 1 running Solaris 2.6 and Samba 2.05a. I use other Samba servers
on site (2.03, 2.05a and 2.06) and these are mainly Intel-RedHat 5/6 boxes,
but no shares from these have ever displayed the same behaviour.

Weird? No kidding!

Mike Robinson

>> Has anyone seen the following anomaly?
>>
>> When I first connect to the Samba server, I run a logon script that maps
>> 5 shares to drives F,G,H,L,M.
>> Some time later, when I check "My Computer", I find that the share
>> mapped to H: has been mapped to all the remaining drive letters as well!
>> For example, after I mount /users on G: and /programs on H:, I'll notice
>> at some point later that I also have /programs mapped to I,J,K,L,M and
>> so on through Z. I don't know when this actually happens since I notice
>> it through the course of a days work. Has anyone heard of this before??
>> I'm running NT4WS/SP6.
>>
>>Dennis
>
>I  have  had  the  same problem with Samba 2.0.5a-1 / NT 4 workstation
>-SP6.  The  only  fix I was able to come up with was to not map drives
>in  a  logon  script  but map normally through Network Neigborhood and
>select  to  reconnect at logon. This is definitely a wierd problem and
>my guess is that it is a SP6 problem.
>
>Sincerely,
>Chuck Smith

This message contains information which may be confidential or privileged.
you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message.  If you have received this message in error,
please advise the sender by reply e-mail @sdli.com, and delete the message.
Thank you for your cooperation.

SDL, Inc.