Very basic SAMBA setup?

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Mon Dec 20 21:32:25 GMT 1999

> From: Steve Salazar <esalazar at u.washington.edu>
>
> Is it possible to just have the VERY basic win98/95 style network
> neighborhood share set up where no one has any passwords and all shared
> disks are visible to everyone on the local network?  I just have two
> windows boxes and one linux, it seems like all the SAMBA documentation is
> geared toward more than what I need or want.  I would be happy if we could
> just share files and print back and forth with no passwords.  Windows
> doesn't even use NetBios at all for this kind of set up.  Does anyone know
> how to do this, or have a sample samba.conf that does this??

Yes, it's possible.  I've got a home network (one Linux machine for me
and one Windows machine for my wife) with this set up.  I can mount
the shared drives on the Linux box and she can access the /tmp
directory on my Linux box (no passwords involved).  I'm not a samba
expert - I just experimented until it worked so this may not be the
best way to do it, but it works for me:

On the Linux box, my smb.conf contains the following (along with
other lines, but I think this is the relevant part):

[linux]
   comment = linux tmp
   path = /tmp
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no

This makes the /tmp directory on the Linux box show up on the Windows
box as "linux" under the name of the Linux box in Network
Neighborhood.  Obviously, if you want to write to it, you would change
the writeable = no to yes.  And of course, both machines have the same
workgroup name.

HTH,
Dave