Samba performance on FreeBSD

Dan O'Connor dan at jgl.reno.nv.us
Mon Dec 20 17:04:44 GMT 1999

The slow write times in FreeBSD seems to have been fixed late in the Samba
2.0.5a life-cycle. Make sure you're using the latest Samba (and rebuild the
port so the patches take effect) and the latest FreeBSD. I find that Samba
2.0.6 humms along quite nicely under FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE.

Also, you might want to consider using softupdates to speed up writing in
general. (See /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.softupdates and
/usr/src/sys/contrib/softupdates/README) Softupdates gives you (close to)
the speed of async writes without the inherent data-loss danger...

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!