RH6.1 Group access for shares

Matthew Halliday matthewh at fesa.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 15:03:53 GMT 1999

I've set up a samba 2.0.5a / RedHat 6.1 file server.  It's all going
fine, but for a minor issue that is irritating rather than critical.  I
have directories for each dept, and then sub-dirs for users, with a dept
share dir in each dept dir.   I can set the valid users to individual
users for the shared directories but some of the depts have 25 - 30
people and so I'd like to use groups but  I don't seem able to set the
valid users setting in smb.conf to groups.  Using @ or + in front of the
group name won't allow anyone in and it keeps asking for the corect
password.  Can anyone help?

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by Fesa UK Limited, this
communication should be treated as confidential and the information
contained therein may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose
for which it was sent. If you are not the intended recipient of this
communication, please contact the sender immediately.
WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. The recipient
should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. Fesa UK Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. This e-mail and any
attachments may not be copied or forwarded without the written
permission of Fesa UK Limited. In the event of any copying or
forwarding, the recipient will be required to indemnify Fesa UK
Limited against any claim for loss or damage caused by any viruses or
otherwise.