File Locking for HP OpenView & SAMBA

Mark Haldeman mhaldema at imedlink.net
Mon Dec 13 21:43:39 GMT 1999

The HP OpenView documentation recommends the use of PCNFS for connecting
Windows-based (Management Consoles) to the HP OpenView databases on a
UNIX-based (Management Server) system.  However, I thought it would be neat
if I could use SAMBA instead of having to install PCNFS on all of the NT
systems.

Anyway, the SAMBA installation went fine, and I can connect to the UNIX
system using NT domain-level security.  However, when I try to install the
HP OpenView Management Console client software on an NT System, it complains
that it cannot verify "file locking."

I tried to set locking and strict locking on the G and H shares (see below)
in the smb.conf, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

HP OpenView clients must lock the databases in /etc/opt/OV/share and
/var/opt/OV/share in a way that allows other Management Consoles to get
Read-Only access to these files.

I guess I'm going to have to go to PCNFS if I can't get this to work.  It's
too bad too, because I was really starting to like SAMBA.

--------------MY SMB.CONF (names and addresses altered to protect the
innocent ;-)-----------------------------------
[global]
   workgroup = MYGROUP