Samba on RedHat 6.1

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Mon Dec 13 18:01:22 GMT 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 03:58:34 +1100, hai scritto:

>runnijng as a trial.  So far we can only see the server on 2 NT 4/SP4
>workstations and not on the Windows 95 clients, and then only if we do a
>Start/Find/Computers.  I can map a drive to a share, and can reconnect
>to it after rebooting the NT workstation, but can't see the server in
>Network Neighborhood.    TCP/IP is running fine - I can ping both ways,

Check the workgroup name, the netmask (you can ping even if netmask is
different, but you can't browse).
Set up a valid guest account on samba "guest account = ftp".
Make just one pc on the network the master browser.

On samba "encrypt password = yes", then
smbpasswd -a <win username>

nbtstat -n
on every win machine, and see if you find some weird differences/output.

nmblookup -A ip.of.samba
on samba.

giulioo at pobox.com