Samba on RedHat 6.1

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 13 21:17:04 GMT 1999

Next time you go to 6.1, be sure to explicitly specify netbios name= and
workgroup=<same as client workgroup>. I've found these two steps almost
always cure such problems.

If you really want to blow that problem out of the water, include these:

os level=255
preferred master=yes
local master=yes
wins support=yes

Wait 30 seconds after Samba restart and you'll be seeing all. Of course,
don't do this if you already have an NT machine acting as lmb/wins, etc in
a production environment. Yes, I know local master=yes is the default, but
I specify it for superstitious reasons :-)

Steve Litt