Samba on RedHat 6.1

Ethan Vaughn vaughne at home.com
Mon Dec 13 20:32:51 GMT 1999

I tried to get samba working on RH6.1 and gave up. Went back to 6.0 and
it worked perfectly. Can't explain it. I was pushed for time, so I
haven't checked redHat Errata. Might want to check it out and let us all
know what you find.

FYI: on RH6.1 I could see all shares from smbclient, even log onto the
win95/98 workstations, but could never get to the Samba share from
win95/98, not even with "find:computer." I took the same smb.conf, and
the same version of samba to a RH6.0 installation and have been fine
with it ever since.

__________________
Ethan Vaughn
vaughne at home.com

MattHalliday wrote:

We're trying to get samba running on a RH 6.1 server installation,
runnijng as a trial.  So far we can only see the server on 2 NT 4/SP4
workstations and not on the Windows 95 clients, and then only if we do a

Start/Find/Computers.  I can map a drive to a share, and can reconnect
to it after rebooting the NT workstation, but can't see the server in
Network Neighborhood.    TCP/IP is running fine - I can ping both ways,
I assume NetBIOS is not running properly.  How can I check?  smb.conf
seems fine, inetd.conf also looks good.  It's taking us ages to sort it
- can anyone help please.

Thanks
Matt Halliday            matthewh at fesa.co.uk