nobody uid printing

Christopher Dingle cmd at head-cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 8 23:11:55 GMT 1999

Hi,

Background info: running samba 2.0.5a on Solaris 2.6
Security = share

This is the printer share definition, note no guest or public definition.

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable    = yes
   createmode   = 0700

Basically the situation is this:

I used to have the printers share defined to allow guest to print. However,
everyone's jobs were coming out with a header page that listed "nobody" as the
owner. Since the guest parameter was set to nobody this makes sense if guest
tries to print. What confounded me was that everyone's jobs came out this way.
So I tried to set guest ok = no and see what would happen. Now when the PC
users would attempt to print it prompted them for a passwd. If they typed
the correct passwd that corresponded with the correct unix username that samba
was attempting to guess, then the print job would come out and with the correct
username. I know that the PC clients don't send usernames and that in share mode
samba  attempts to guess the user. This has worked well enough, but the security of
this setup is wanting, for obvious reasons and anyway it's icky.

What I would like to do is this:

Perhaps change security = user. However, I am wondering how this would impact
users' ability to access their shares. In some cases, there is a valid users
list for a given share. What are the implications of security = user in terms
of this? Would this solve my problem?

What I want is for users to be able to access the printers without having to
enter a passwd, and also have the header page display the correct username.
This may sound trivial, but it hasn't seemed so to me. I've tried tuning a
number of different configuration parameters in smb.conf, defining %u for a
given connection, etc.

I was new to samba administration about 6 months ago. I hope this question is
not terribly obtuse.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Chris

--
Christopher M. Dingle
Unix SysAdmin