permission problems

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Wed Dec 8 20:19:15 GMT 1999

Craig Hansen wrote:
| Every once in a while we have a situation where someone copies a
| file from we'll say /info8/pub/word.document, to there personal
directory,
| edits the file and pastes it back to it's original location, and
when
| another person from "the same group" tries to access the file, their
| permissions are denied.

	This is similar to a recurring problem with Win apps:
| Many Windows applications rename their data files to datafile.bak
and
| create new ones, thus changing their ownership and permissions so
that
| members of the same Unix group can't edit them. Setting force create
| mask = 0660 will keep the new file editable by members of the group.
| see http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_03.html

	If you force group permissions on, and your Unix preserves
	the group, you'll be fine. If not, you may have to use
	a "force group" option on that share, so the files there
	always belong to the same group.

--dave (madly blowing my own horn) c-b
Willowdale, Ontario   |
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/author.html