Help with account mapping and guest

Roberts, Mark L. (ML) MLROBERTS at dow.com
Mon Dec 6 21:10:12 GMT 1999

For public shares including the IPC$ share for browsing, a guest account was
sufficient for access when user had no account on Unix box.  With 2.06
however on my Solaris 2.7 box I can not seem to make the box browsable or
public shares work for non account visitors.  I have tried the guest = *
entry in the map file, but than account that were already mapped get
remapped to guest and local account holder are treated as guests!  I have
also tried the: map to guest = Bad user to no avail.  I have tried several
combinations including changing my guest account.  None allowed real account
holder in as themselves while all unknown users showed up as guests able to
browse server and map public services like printers and public shares.

This all seems to have worked fine in 2.05 so what do I do differently in
2.06 to make it all work again.
For reference below is sanitized smb.conf
; Configuration file for smbd.
;
[global]
;   printing = bsd
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap
;   server string = "The massspec n server"
   password server = server1 server2 server3
   os level = 2
   print command = lpr -h -r -P %p %s

   printing = sysv
   printcap name = lpstat
   load printers = yes
   browseable = yes
   guest account = pcguest
   netbios name = mdnmr1
   server string = "The MD NMR server"
   workgroup = local resource domain name
   domain master = no
   security = domain
;   password server = *
   encrypt passwords = yes
   protocol = NT1
   getwd cache = Yes
   dead time = 150
   read prediction = True
   read size = 8192
   os level = 5
   preserve case = yes
   message command = /bin/mail -s `message from %f on %m' root < %s; rm %s
   debug level = 3
   username map = /opt/samba/lib/user.map
   map to guest = Bad User

;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
log file = /opt/samba/logs/log_%m_%U.%G.%I
;log file = /opt/samba/logs/log.%m

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   valid users = %S
   invalid users = root daemon bin sys adm lp smtp uucp nuucp listen nobody
   create mode = 0750

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = yes