WinNT Performance

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Dec 6 15:17:00 GMT 1999

Leo Crombach <lcrombach at tropel.com> wrote:
> One of the Samba servers on our network is used as a MS Access database /
> file server.  We are in the process of migrating PC users from Windows 9X
> to Windows NT.  One of the problems that has surfaced is using the Access
> database.  The Windows 95 boxes can run the database fine.  The Windows NT
> boxes for some reason run the database much, much slower.  I believe it is
> due to the differences in the TCP/IP stack between 95 and NT.  The question
> is, what tuning can I do to the Samba server to boost performance for the
> NT boxes.

	Any chance of migrating the configuration to use
	access as an "access to backend database" client, rather
	than a database that uses a remote filesystem?

	The default configuration of Access isn't intended
	to scale... it's to sell back-office dbms servers (;-))

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   |
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/author.html
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com