File sharing problem with NT

John Rousseau jrousseau at silverstream.com
Fri Dec 3 20:31:12 GMT 1999

I'm new to Samba, but I have searched the FAQ, DIAGNOSIS.txt and the
group archives with no success.

I'm running Samba 2.0.6 on RedHat 6.1 (glibc 2.1.2, kernel 2.2.12)
and sharing an ext2 filesystem.

I'm mounting this filesystem from an Intel Windows NT Server box
running service pack 5.

When I start to copy files (MKS cp -r) from my NT box to my Linux
box, everything goes along fine for a while (~10-15 seconds) until
my copy hits a large file (the one that is failing at this point is
5.9MB). At that point the NT box says (after a few seconds) "An
unexpected network error occurred." (thanks for the help Bill!) and
the copy fails. Trying to look at the shared drive from the NT box
hangs, but after about a minute it recovers and looks fine.

There are no other clients hitting the server.

The machines are about 5 feet apart on the same piece of 100MB
ethernet. The Linux box is a 128MB PII-200. The NT box is a 256MB
PIII-350.

I've tried pushing up "oplock break wait time" to 50 ms without
success. Running with "debug level = 2" doesn't show any error
messages on the Linux side in the log. I've tried running with "nt
smb support" both on and off without success.

If I try and copy a tree of small files, the copy succeeds.

Anybody have any suggestions? Is there a FAQ entry that I missed?

Thanks
-John

John Rousseau                               jrr at silverstream.com
SilverStream Software
1 Burlington Woods                        Phone: +1 781 238 5564
Burlington, MA 01803                        Fax: +1 781 238 5499