Very strange, couldn't stat ".": another question...

Bruce Tenison btenison at rstc.cc.al.us
Thu Dec 2 16:51:49 GMT 1999

Hi Skip.  Sorry haven't responded sooner.  What I did was found the line
in the source that was generating this code and added the path=%s\n",path
section at (or around) line 414 in source/lib/doscalls.c
For example:  The line read:
    DEBUG(0,("Very strange, couldn't stat \".\"\n"));
and I changed it to:
    DEBUG(0,("Very strange, couldn't stat \".\" path=%s\n",path));

What this told me was that for some reason, samba was trying to stat the
directory /root and /root was not executable (and readable?) by anyone else
but root, so samba couldn't stat it.  Once I changed permissions on that
directory, samba didn't complain anymore.

Bruce