FYI: testparm misses "lm announce" error

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Wed Dec 1 16:01:34 GMT 1999

I thought the developers of Samba would want to know that the testparm
(v2.0.6) utility does not catch a misconfiguration of the "lm
announce" parameter.

I've mistakenly had this setting in my smb.conf for over a year:

        lm announce = 30

This error is a result of my confusing the "lm announce" and "lm
interval" parameters.  The actual valid values for "lm announce" are
only "true", "false", and "auto".

I usually run testparm after any config change, yet this error has
never been detected.  It seems that my error is silently ignored.
This is what testparm says about my LanManager-related params:

        lm announce = Auto
        lm interval = 60

As you can see, the default (correct) values are used without
complaint.

FYI.

*** Steve Snyder ***