Can't allow public access to share

David J. Streb dstreb at mtech.mec.edu
Wed Dec 1 15:28:31 GMT 1999

Under samba 1.8.x we could allow access for users not added as users on the
Unix system.  Since we upgraded to 2.0.0, only people who have been added
as users can access our [public] share.  What do I need to do differently?
 Sun Ultra 1 running Solaris 2.7, Samba 2.0.0

Here's my smb.conf file:  Other comments on recommended changes are welcome
as well!

[global]
   create mode = 775
   directory mask = 775
   encrypt passwords = no
   workgroup=PLAN
   printing = sysv
   printcap name = /etc/sambaprintcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   guest ok = no
   logfile = /export/home/dstreb/sambalog.%m
   max log size = 100
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   security = users

[tmp]
 comment = temporary files
 path = /tmp
 public = yes
 writable = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   guest ok = no
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0777
   writable = yes

[gis]
   comment = authorized GIS data access
   path = /main/data/data
   guest ok = no
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0775
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[fitchburg]
   comment = fitchburg Directory
   path = /wren5/fitchburg
   guest ok = no
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0775
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[building]
   comment = authorized GEOTMS data access
   path = /main/geotms
   guest ok = yes
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0775
 writable = yes
   printable = no

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /main/data/data
   read only = no
   public = yes
   writable = yes
  printable = no
  write list = mbrady, dstreb, esacon, tsmith, kdupont

[printers]
  browseable = yes
  writable = no
  public = yes