Windows shares when security=user

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Tue Aug 31 20:46:37 GMT 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 05:39:51 +1000, hai scritto:

>I have installed Samba 1.9.18p10 (comes with Debian 2.1 disrtibution)
> "You cannot view the name list at this time, try again later". It never works.
>Am I missing some configuration file? I have added smbpaswd file
>to Linux box and I have same user accounts on all machines,

This feature (viewing from win9x user-level the list of users from
samba) is not yet implemented in samba2.0.x, let alone 1.9.x.

You can:
1) use win9x in share-level (leave samba in user-level though)
2) use a workaround consisting in adding registry settings by hand to
specify users which are allowed to access your shares in user-level,
see:
http://bstc.net/~brian/docs/
3) try samba-2.1 prealpha, but be prepared.. this is the development
branch, so you may get some benefits and some problems too.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it