Solaris 7 and Samba startup

Chris Douty Chris_Douty at ampex.com
Tue Aug 31 17:22:31 GMT 1999

Richard L Johnson wrote:
> I am running Samba 2.0.4 and Solaris 7 on an Ultra 60.
> I used to startup the smbd and nmbd daemons from /etc/rc.local.
> Apparently, I need to move the startup to someplace else.  Being
> a Solaris novice, can someone please tell me what I need to do
> to startup the daemons?

Solaris uses a SysV init (as do some linux distros).  Look in
"/etc/init.d/*".  All of the startup files for various services live
there.  Create a file in that directory named something like
"samba.server".  There are several other directories under /etc which
control the services started or stopped at a given run level.  Look
in /etc/rc[0123].d for some examples.  These scripts are links (hard
or soft) to the scripts in "/etc/init.d".  Within the rc?.d
directories, scripts starting with "S" start a service and those
beginning in "K" stop a service.  The numbers create a sequence of
initialization, so that you can rely on services started earlier in
that run level.

Run level 3 is designated for multiuser operation with filesharing,
so this is where I start samba.  Look in your source pacakage for
"examples/svr4-startup/*".  This is a proper script written by Timo
Knuutila for all systems using a SysV style init.

Good luck,
	Chris

--
Christopher Douty <Chris_Douty at ampexdata.com> +1-650-367-3129
Senior Software Support Engineer - AMPEX Corporation