Jetdirect Configuration

Sanders, Peter Peter.Sanders at dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon Aug 30 22:57:28 GMT 1999

>Date:   Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:30:14 +0200
>From:   "Florian v. Behr" <fvbehr at gmx.net>
>To:     samba at samba.org
>Subject: jetdirect printer configuration
>
>I am trying to set up a jetdirect plotter in our network (samba server
>running un suse linux 6.2).
>When I start printing from on of the windows boxes everything seems fine
>but the printing files only show up in the spooling directories on the
>samba server. The plotter (HP Designjet 650 C) never receives anything.
>Here are the relevant parts of my smb.conf and my printcap file:
>
>PRINTCAP:
>
>dj650:lp=3D:rm=3D192.168.0.20sd=3Dvar/spool/dj650:lf=3D/var/spool/dj650:s=
h:sf:sh

>I also tried the printername (dj650) instead of the ip# but that did not
>help. I can ping the plotter with the ip # and the name.
>
>SMB.CONF:
>

>[dj650]
>	printable =3D yes=09
>	path =3D /var/spool/dj650c
>	printer driver =3D HP Design Jet 650C (C2859A)
>	public =3D yes
>  	writeable =3D yes

Get rid of this.  I think Samba is failing to submit the transferred file
to the lpr system because of its presence.  "writable" is only for
disk shares.  The path should be something like /tmp since it is
Unix's lpd system which is using the spool directory, _not_ Samba.
Also make sure that the permissions on the spool directory allow the
creation of files by all.