Win98: net use works, Map Network Drive doesn't; no browsing, either

D. Sanderson dsanders at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 25 23:06:15 GMT 1999

Hi all!

I'm using Samba v2.0.4b with Mac OS X.  My Win98 machines are giving me
behavior that I'm having difficulty diagnosing:

* The server doesn't show up under Network Neighborhood.

* Map Network Drive doesn't work with the "netbios name" I specified.  I
may be confused, but it doesn't work with the "workgroup name", either:
   \\NETBIOSNAME\SHARE NAME
   \\WORKGROUPNAME\SHARE NAME
both result in "The computer or share name could not be found."

* Map Network Drive won't let me use the IP address, either:
   \\<ip addr>\SHARE NAME
returns "The following error occurred while trying to connect F: to \\<ip
addr>\SHARE NAME:  More data is available."  I may be confused here, too:
am I allowed to use the IP address like this?  (Can I access the "more
data" that is supposedly available, or is this just a silly message?)

* However, the following command *works* at a DOS prompt (with the drive
usable from Win98):
  net use F: "\\<ip addr>\SHARE NAME"

EnablePlainTextPasswords (or whatever that key is called) is set to 1.
Before I set it, the "net use" command didn't work (as expected).

Win98 is logged in with the Mac OS X user and password I set up to access
SHARE NAME.  Without being logged in like this, "net use" doesn't work (as
expected).  While I only want machines logged in this way to see the
share, I'll take anything I can get to get it working.

My smb.conf is below (names changed; please pardon my paranoia).  Many
thanks for any assistance you can provide!

[global]
        workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
        netbios name = NETBIOSNAME
        server string = My Share Server