Posting to browselists in other subnets?

Scott Knight sknight at mich.com
Wed Aug 25 22:04:42 GMT 1999

Joseph,

> I'm running Samba 1.9.18p10 and it works great. But I can't get it to
> announce to other subnets that are on the other side of a router. I've
> added "remote announce = 192.168.1.255" to smb.conf (my machine is in
> 192.168.0.0 subnet) and there are no other NT machines in any of the
> subnets. What should I look for?

Well, the only way that this will work is if 192.168.1.255 is holding
the browse list.  The option 'os level' is your friend here and setting
it to a higher number on the remote machine will assure it of winning an
election when it comes up.  If the machine on the other end is running
Samba, try querying it with

smbclient -L 192.168.1.255 -U username

This will tell you which machines are on the browselist on the remote
subnet and also which machine is controlling it.
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight at mich.com
http://www.mich.com/~sknight IRC:SS396man
'95 Black Impala SS
'94 Ducati 900SS CR